Ask the chef!
Is there anything you’ve always wanted to ask a chef of a five star luxury hotel and restaurant? Have you ever wondered how he conjures these fabulous dishes?
Here, Andreas Donnerbauer, our Executive chef, gives cooking advice and reveals his secrets and tips just for you.
This time Andreas, please tell us: How can we make the perfect steak at home on an electric stove?
During summer time, it’s no problem on a BBQ grill; however do we have to spend all winter without a juicy steak? Of course not!
Actually it is very easy to make a nice steak at home on your own stove.
The most important thing is a high-quality piece of meat. I prefer a rib-eye steak, because it has a higher fat content, which makes a steak especially tasty.
Next thing is the right pan: my recommendation is a cast iron pan. By now you can buy them at a reasonable price and let me tell you, as soon as you start cooking with one, you don’t want to do without it anymore.
Now you already have the main components, only thing missing is the taste. Therefore prepare some fresh herbs like rosemary, thyme, sage and garlic. Don’t forget olive oil and some butter as well as sea salt and black pepper.
- preheat the oven to 180°Celcius
- take the steak (ca. 300g) out of the fridge and let it warm up to room temperature
- sprinkle the meat with some salt and pepper
- preheat the pan on the stove and add a bit of olive oil. Don’t use too much oil, otherwise it may form smoke.
- Sear the meat from both sides, then place it into the oven with the pan. Let it cook for about 5 minutes to make the steak medium rare.
- Take the steak out of the oven and let it rest for 5 minutes in a warm spot, so the meat can relax and won’t be chewy.
- Melt a bit of butter in the pan and add the herbs and garlic. Slowly warm up the meat again in the flavored butter.
- slice the steak and serve with your favorite side dish
An Guaden! (Bavarian for “Enjoy your meal!”) “
Send us your questions, the best ones will be picked and answered on the website!
You can adjust all of your cookie settings by navigating the tabs on the left hand side.